Thursday 23 October 2014

Guide To Being Unique

Something people always say is to "be unique", but I have two issues with this;

1) What if someone has murderous tendencies and you encourage them to be themselves? Does that mean you can be charged with aiding a killing?

2) It's all well and good to tell someone to be unique, but these days it feels like everyone and everything is already taken. Every aspiration, desire, love, hobby, interest, hate, peeve and want you have, seems to have been "owned" before by someone. I'm not the sort of person that gets worried by that sort of thing. I like to think that my brain is my own. Sure, others have thought the same or similar thoughts, but I have not yet met or seen someone with the exact same brain as mine.

In fact, I think that that's impossible. If you are to meet someone and they have the exact same brain as you, you would both never really meet. You would both react to everything the same and therefore meeting would be impossible. Let me explain to you in a less wordy way...

Scenario 1:

*You.1 enters*

*You.1 and You.2 look at each other*

Both: "Hello"

"What is your name?"

"Oh no, you first."

"No you"

"Please, I insist"

"Well my name is ____"

"Pardon me, what did you say your name was?"

"Well this is rather remarkable"

*Both laugh shyly*

"I'm guessing you're here for the job interview?"

"Well, um yes, good. Erm, I have to get some work done so I'll just... um..."

End scene

Now to me that isn't meeting. That's exchanging a few too many awkward words. Sure, in the dictionary meeting is

meet1
miːt/
verb
  1. 1.
    arrange or happen to come into the presence or company of (someone).
    "a week later I met him in the street"
    synonyms:encounter, meet up with, come face to face with, make contact with,run into/across, come across/upon, chance on, happen on, light on,stumble across/on;
    informalbump into
    "I met an old friend on the train"





but for my purposes of this post, I'm going to say "codswallop" to the Oxford Dictionary and say that the scene I just described to you is not meeting.

Perhaps using another example where the two people are introverts will support my case a bit better

Scenario 2:

*You.1 enters*

*You.1 and You.2 look at each other*

*Both sit down*

*Glance at each other once more*

*Checks that the other person doesn't require a conversation*

*Pulls out magazine*

End scene

And if you were to be exactly the same, then you'd both always find each other in the same places doing the same things. In this way it would once again be impossible to co-exist with another "You" because "You" would both go for the same jobs and then only one of "You" would get it, therefore setting "You" apart and making "You" different from the other "You". 

Or neither of "You" would get the job...

That's another possibility...





So.

I think focusing on being unique is waaayyyy mainstream.

(Then again, thinking something is waaayyyy mainstream is waaayyyy mainstream)

Why not focus on being TheOneAndOnlyYou?

That way you are assured to be unique, but you aren't focusing on what needs to be done, but what is being done.

No comments:

Post a Comment